Sunday, May 14, 2006

holy crap

I just started reading a book, "The Wal-Mart Effect". I'm nine pages in and I've already been shocked multiple times. shocked enought that i'm stopping to blog it. here's some of the shockers for you: *Wal-Mart entered the grocery world 15ish years ago. (most of the chains are closer to 100 years old) "Today, WM sells more groceries than any company not just in the US but in the world...In the same decade that WM has come to dominate teh grocery business in the US, thirty-one supermarket chains have sought bankruptcy protection; twenty-seven of them cite competetion from WM as a factor." *" Wal-Mart isn't just he largest; it no longer has any near rivals.Wal-Mart is as big as Home Depot, Kroger, Target, Costco, Sears and Kmart combined. Target, which is considered Wal-Mart's nearest direct rival and its most astute competitor, is small by comparison. Each year Wal-Mart sells more by Saint Patricks' Day, March 17, than Target sells all year." *"WM's sales in the US are equal to $2060.36 spent there by every U.S. household in the last year. (WM's profit on that 2060.36 was just $75.00)" which means to me that they're making their money on sheer volume. i used to really like wal-mart. after all it's the cheapest place to get things like school stuff or picture frames or toys or whatever. but recently, i've become convinced that they're not really helping our economy at all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joanne said...

They are the reason a lot of Toys R Us stores are closing down here. Now I seldom shopped at Toys R Us because of their prices but... I did like to go in and dream.

5/14/2006 07:38:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I try to stick with Target because WalMart is supposed to be bad for the economy. But every once in awhile I get sucked in by cheap prices.

I hadn't been in about 6 months, but when my friend told me that my scarf maker was only $12, rather than the $21 at Johann's Fabrics, I had to go to WalMart. Even Michaels was still a $15 product (but I saw that after my WalMart purchase).

5/15/2006 08:29:00 AM  
Blogger Lana Joy said...

Andy and I will not shop at Walmart at all. I'm sure you will discover the reasons as you read more of your book. It's simply not worth the cheap prices to support what they do. And I say that as someone who lives on a very, very tight budget to begin with.

5/15/2006 05:52:00 PM  
Blogger Geoff said...

I'm definitely a wal-mart hater, as well. I pretty much won't shop there. Not so much because of the economy thing, but more of the social justice thing.

5/17/2006 11:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home