Saturday, April 22, 2006

yard work

like me, dave is experiencing some new found freedom with the end of the semester so close. unlike me, dave is actually being productive with this new energy. part of today saw dave outside, attempting to mow down our meadow. he made a lot of progress, although perhaps not obviously so to the naked eye. much of his time was spent dispensing of the rocks in the grass left over from my morning of digging the car out of the mud (months ago), discovering an ant colony (maybe maybe this is the enemy camp that we've been fighting for so long!), disassembling and dumping out the pool (from last year) and trying to get as much grass as possible to fit in our limited yard debris trash can. yard work and i have a love hate relationship. on the one hand being outside in the sun and working the yard just feels so right. again, its that little happy-contented-this-is-a-great-thing feeling that i get sometimes. and its so nice to have a yard that you can be proud of and to actually accomplish something with your hands and the force of your back. on the other hand, bugs and i do not get along. and there are so incredibly many of them. everywhere. and they're so crawly. and they have no inhibitions about crawling right over top of me. and so mostly i admire others doing yard work. but sometimes my leather gloves make me feel invincible and then its love again.

5 Comments:

Blogger anne said...

Yes, I agree...those darned assuming bugs. They think you're a regular highway! :)

4/23/2006 02:08:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Steele said...

I agree about yardwork--I love having a great-looking yard, but sometimes I don't exactly have/take the time to make it look that way. Or I don't have the tools (like an edger/weed whacker). Or I keep killing my gerbera daisies.

4/24/2006 01:51:00 PM  
Blogger Geoff said...

Yesterday as I was mowing the lawn, cleaning the garden beds and painting the stucco I realized I am so over suburbia. Gimme an condo in the city anyday... I'm sick of yardwork.

4/24/2006 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

It's hard for me to get excited about yardwork. I think right now I have the best thing going. Our rental agency hired a gardener to keep up the yard. (good thing knowing Jeff and I) But I still get to doodle around in the flower beds planting pretty things that surprisingly have not all died overnight at my touch. A gardener feels so frivolous but it is awesome so I will enjoy it while I have it. I also don't have to feel guilty because there was no option to pay less and do yardwork ourselves. Guilt free laziness is the best!

4/25/2006 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I agree about the gloves. You have to have them or yard work gets dirty and bugs start crawling on you. It gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

4/26/2006 02:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home