Sunday, May 21, 2006

work is nice (sometimes)

this weekend was one of yard work mostly. and a few other things. Late Friday night dave went frog hunting with some friends (just catch and release). they also called and spotted some owls. Sounded like fun times. Saturday morning dave worked on a fish tank and then came home and worked on the yard. After her nap, Ellen went out with him. When Isaiah woke up, we went out to see what they were up to. Dave had been showing Ellen how "helicopter seeds" fly and she thought that was great. Even better, she decided, would be to take off their wing things and line up the 'nuts' (these are not seeds mom, they're nuts) she loves lining things up. dave was actually a bit tired, if you can believe it, so isaiah helped him rest. fighting the yawn. Today, we went to Imago. I love Imago. A lot. I think I've mentioned that. I feel like i'm home as soon as I walk in the door. It's weird I know. Especially that I feel most at home in an auditorium full of the funky city folk that is imago. (Dave and my appearance is rather boring comparitively.) And then, on the way home we stopped at Costco and Winco, my two favorite food stores and stocked up on the wonderful things that you can only get at them, like super good bulk granola and big costco muffins. And when we came home it was my turn to do yard work while Dave supervised the children. I trimmed back our hedges significantly. In process it was quite impressive, but once it was done it's no longer apparent that I did any work at all. They still look huge and in need of a trim. I know this is going to sound like I'm usually a lazy bum, but being sore from accomplishing actual work is quite exhilirating. I'd much prefer to have sore muscles from doing something productive than from a work out. It can be quite nice to have a chance to go for a walk or a bike ride or swim or whatever. But it's exceedingly wonderful to combine the two things and have something crossed off a list to boot. I think I can think this only because most of my time is spentwith kiddos, and while that is very good and worthwhile, you don't tend to see a lot of immediate results from your work. starting and actually finishing something, that will stay finished for a while - unlike cleaning the house - is really really rewarding. And I can also think this because I don't do it very often. If I did yard work every weekend, I probably wouldn't get such a kick out of it. Once everything was cleaned up Dave deemed it a Taco Bell night and off we went. Turns out Isaiah is not a fan of Taco Bell. He didn't eat anything - this is truly amazing as Isaiah is always eating. On the way home there was a thunder and lightning storm and Dave kept Ellen outside to watch it for a while. She was pretty impressed. And now we've come home and the kids are sleeping and I get to blog. Good stuff.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

I love all the green in your back yard. And I know what you mean when you talk about having that "I worked out" feeling after doing something productive. It feels good!

5/22/2006 08:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home