Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Wal-Mart Effect conclusions

i've finished "The Wal-Mart Effect". The overall tone seems to be along these lines: Wal-Mart is not all good. Wal-Mart is not all bad. They are gynormous. They are here to stay. Since they are so big and so here to stay, it would be really really nice if they would use their incredible power for good. say, for instance, to impose fair labor laws in all of the factories they buy from - whether that be in the U.S. (not as big of a problem) or oversees. One doesn't necessarily need to boycott Wal-Mart. It won't have that big of an effect. He compared that to boycotting automobiles. Instead, let's work to hold them accountable.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

Interesting and good to know. I never really had a clear idea of why they were considered a "bad" company.

I don't feel as guilty having bought my scarf maker from them last week. Thanks for the summary!

5/17/2006 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Cindy Fleischhauer said...

And they only sell edited cd's!

I think that's cool.

5/17/2006 01:05:00 PM  
Blogger Lana Joy said...

Wow, interesting. I disagree. I still will not shop there-- not because I think I'm changing anything by doing that, but morally, in my conscience, I cannot justify giving money to people while knowing that money will be used for evil (for lack of a better word). And I think if everyone in every major city had the same knowledge and followed their consciences, too, Walmart could easily be put out of business. I guess it's just my way of "doing my part."

By the way, it's not really a "boycott" if it's permanent.

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but Walmart always strikes a cord with me!

5/17/2006 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Did they give any ideas on how to hold them accountable?

5/19/2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

yes, that is the real question isn't it. this is a very paraphrased summary - so he didn't specifically. but i think spreading awareness and working to get new legislation is what he's ultimately talking about. which sounds like a lot of work to me.

5/19/2006 10:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home