Sunday, March 19, 2006

Sunday celebrations

"This year at Imago Dei Community, we are approaching Lent as a season for embracing the resurrection life. As we have been journeying through Romans, we have seen the realities that in christ, God has made us a new creation, has made us righteous, has given us new life and peace with himself, has set us free from sin, has shown us his love and called us to the power of his future hope. As we approach this season of easter, we are intentionally taking time as a community to embrace these realities that havebeen made true by Christ's resurrection. This book is designed to help us orient our lives toward these truths in this season. Lent originated in the very earliest days of the Church as a preparatory time for Easter, when the faithful rededicated themselves and when converts were instructed in the faith and prepared for baptism. Today, we celebrate Lent for a forty-day period before Easter. It begins on Ash Wednesday. Traditionally, we skip Sundays when we count the 40 days, because Sundays commemorate the resurrection... For us, Lent is an invitation to 40 days of reneweal, -"Lent" means "spring"-, 40 days to prepare ourselves to take in the good news of Easter through deeper disciplines of prayer, fasting, and giving. We are nto only fasting from something, we are hungering toward God...Some people find the cravings they experience can be redirected toward postive ends: as a reminder to pray or to practice a chosen spiritual discipline. Thus, giving up a physical practice may make room for internal change just as you replace a bad habit for a good one... In the end, Lent is a time for us as community to embrace the resurrection life God has given us in Christ. It is not just a time to give up some thing or another, but a time to orient our whole lives towards God." Taken from "Prayers for Lent" which Imago put out this year. I include it here because I like the explanations and reasonings they give. Also, when i first read it, my eye caught the part about not counting Sundays because that was a day to celebrate the resurrection. So, I decided on Sundays, I would eat sugar as a sort of celebration and be reminded every sunday of resurrection life. Dave thinks its a handy gimmick I'm using to get whatever food I'm craving. But, its not. Really. Last Sunday I had a bite of fudge and a soda, and with every sip I felt like it was a special day and I was celebrating and my mind was brought back to the resurrection. And this week, I've been saving up things I want to eat today, and again, with every one of those thoughts, I'm reminded of resurrection life.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ian Batstone said...

I totally dig what you are saying here. I have been thinking about these things as well, and being more intentional about thinking of WHY we are doing a TV fast. My friend helped me remember that, even if we are doing things that are good for us in other ways, we need to not focus on those fringe benefits, but instead on the reason for the season (to use a cliche'). Thus, when I don't watch TV, I shouldn't just be excited about the extra time I have, I should remember that I am preparing for Easter and focus on Christ and what He did...

3/19/2006 09:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thought provoking

3/20/2006 05:48:00 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

i like it. very cool.

and i liked the fudge & cookies!

thanks!

3/20/2006 09:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home