Saturday, April 29, 2006

a little less pleasant and a little more mean

i am becoming convinced that there are not even ten level feet of street in our little town. those tiny little inclines that you don't even notice in a car are painfully obvious to my pleasant** little legs. i bought a bike yesterday so i could start working on becoming more lean and mean (as in a lean-mean-muscle-machine). i went out this morning and did a little loop of the town and just about killed myself. i wasn't so much out of breath or anything, but my legs weren't real steady when i got off and i was this close to puking when i came inside. seriously everywhere i rode, everywhere, was either an incline or the following decline. i wonder if its better for muscle development to do short spurts (incline) and rests (decline) or slow and steady (that level land in l.a. i took for granted). a couple days ago i drove around trying to plot out a trip that would be the proper amount of miles i was trying for and started to notice the hills and dips then. i realized i was never going to survive on my cruiser and i needed a bike with gears. so off ellen, isaiah and i went to target yesterday. its not the easiest thing in the world to take a bike off a rack and steer both it and a shopping cart of kids around a store. so now i have an extra bike - anybody want a beautiful black cruiser that's seen pretty much nothing but the inside of the garage for its entire two years of life? i need to sell it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris Steele said...

The incline/decline thing is better for developing muscle; the flats would just increase you endurance. And if you want some flat surfaces, come here--we shout for joy when we go over a hill that's not an overpass.

4/29/2006 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Just keep it up kiddo.

4/29/2006 05:57:00 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I'm impressed with your motivation. I hope you find time to continue riding.

I bought a jump rope recently thinking that I might find it easier to exercise if I stayed around the house. Nope, I still can't find the time or the motivation.

Maybe your determination will rub off on me. Keep us posted!

5/01/2006 08:46:00 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Yes, you are definitely inspiring me. I have desperately been trying to get friends to walk with me because lately I feel like I have no motivation to exercise so if I have a date to walk I know I will do it. Good luck.

5/03/2006 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

wendy you need to move up here to oregon. think of the fun we'd have - walking dates, bingo buddies...i'm sure we'd come up with lots more incredibly fun things to do.

5/03/2006 03:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home