Thursday, January 26, 2006

the news

i'm afraid i haven't really been a stellar parent lately. i've been getting rather upset with ellen. she can be somewhat infuriating when she wants to be. if you have a sense of humor and roll with things she snaps out of it really quick - but if you let it drive you nuts she'll carry on for days and days. i'm afraid nothing has been funny to me lately, so we've all been miserable. she's had some sort of bum obsession lately. do all kids do that? she just loves going around pinching your bum and just...playing with it. i'm so over my bum being pinched. i told her several times to cut it out yesterday and she just kept at it so i finally lost it and yelled at her. Stop Touching My Bum!!!! That kinda shocked her i think. but i also notice that you get what you give with her. if i yell or am rough with her (like when i'm frustrated out of my mind after she's jumped on isaiah or pushed him over and sat on him or something) as i put her in her trouble chair, she's rougher with isaiah and meaner in general. makes sense...that whole modeling bit. but gee whiz is it hard to just stay level have no reaction other than the calm - you did this, that was a bad choice, so this is going to happen. i gotta say, this is tough work. so for tomorrow we (ellen and i)agreed i'd work on being gentle and not yelling. isaiah has been talking up a storm. he says mom and dad (ma, da ) pretty regularly...mostly if he hears the sound he repeats it. but sometimes when he sees us he'll say it. and he's experimenting with sign language - more (which looks suspiciouly like clapping) and all done (waving his hands in the air). maybe i'll catch it on video soon. he also seems to suddenly be ready for sleeping. not that he's sleeping long periods of a time, but all the sudden he has no problem going to sleep completely by himself. no crying, no moaning. just read him a story, sing him a song, give him his blanket and he's happy to lay in his bed until he falls asleep. i wonder if he wasn't ready earlier...? (is that even possible?) my demarle show/business launch is coming up on tuesday night. hopefully people will show up and be so impressed they'll buy it all. we'll see :) i had today off from school, so i've been reading a bad novel (the regime) and my textbooks. dave's had drama at work as they want him to work even more hours, and his fish stuff is growing steadily. it seems like he's getting a new customer every month. which is awesome, but he's kinda running out of time to do all this work. there are only so many hours in the day, and the bank seems to want a lot of them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Joanne said...

I will be praying for you all. Hang in there and it all does get better :)

1/27/2006 05:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. There were many many times that I lost it! Although losing it with you, usually just resulted in you DISSOLVING into tears or else desperately trying not to, and then I felt REALLY bad. I had many time outs for me, so I would calm down before reacting. I remember one incident in particular when Bry was doing something to irritate Jill and she yelled at him, YOU MAKE ME SO MAD!. I very piously said, no Jill, Bryan doesn't make you mad, You choose to be angry. Well I don't think it was more than 15 minutes later I was hollering at Jill... "you make me so mad" I'll never forget that! What a lesson!
Lots of times when you all went down for naps, I promised I would be more patient when you all woke up... that usually lasted about 15 minutes.
I don't know if you are all being kind, but no one really seems to remember or talk about how often I lost my temper when there were a kazillion toddlers in the house.
I agree with Joanne, it does get better and besides, how will Ellen understand that she can overcome her temper and her bad feelings if she doesn't see it modeled. If she thinks you guys are perfect all the time, then she will think she is weird and her struggles are not normal. But if she sees you struggling and overcoming then she has a pattern to model.
You guys really are the best parents I know-

1/27/2006 07:20:00 AM  
Blogger anne said...

I'm very impressed by your parenting, too. Sounds hard. I'm glad you're getting a chance to vent hear on your blog (venting usually relieves me a bit).

Hey, good luck on your Demarle sales night!

So, if Dave picks up enough aquarium customers, can he cut back on his position at the bank or will they take away his med. insurance if he does that?

1/27/2006 02:15:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

they won't let him cut back at all - they keep telling him he's very lucky to be at only 32 hours - he's the last banker in oregon to not be full time, etc etc

1/27/2006 02:43:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Steele said...

I'm kind of glad to see that you do have struggles in parenting, as bad as that sounds. It's just that everything I saw when I was there was wonderful, and I wondered how on earth I could ever be as patient and rational as you. I mean, I'm not looking forward to frustration, but it's good to see someone work through it. You should write a book, and then I could read it. :)

1/28/2006 02:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home