Sunday, August 21, 2005

traveling mercies by anne lamott

just finished this book this morning while i was waiting for isaiah to go back to sleep. (i was talking to ellen this morning about how well isaiah was sleeping and saying that the only problem was that he was waking up at 6am. dave jumped in saying, no the only problem is he cries when he's going back to sleep.) anyway, i read this book because after reading "blue like jazz" many people told me this writer was similar but better. so i thought i better check it out. i liked this book, it was interesting and kept me coming back. however (and maybe this is because i read blue like jazz first) i didn't like it better. it didn't inspire me to live differently like b.l.j. did. and it didn't feel like it was speaking to me. this might be because my place in life is so much more similar to don miller's than anne lammott's. and it felt a bit more disjointed than blue like jazz. when i first started blj i had a hard time getting past that - it was almost like stream of consciousness or the guy's journal or something. but over time i started to like it and actually value that part of the book. somehow, it all came together and the chapters started feeling like parts of a whole instead of individual vignettes. didn't happen for me with traveling mercies. but it's still good, and still helps me think and so it's definitely on my "this was a good book" list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home