Sunday, June 18, 2006

alpaca

driving home from church today we saw a sign directing us to an alpaca gift shop. we thought that sounded like tons of fun, so we drove a bit farther than we expected to and eventually found the farm/gift shop attached to a house. we let ourselves in the shop and the farm and looked around to our hearts content. dave and ellen started calling the alpacas and they started coming in. this kinda thing always freaks me out a bit if there isn't someone around who knows the animals and if they're friendly. (dave thinks i'm hilariously ridiculous.) The owner lady saw us and she and her dog came out to give us the official tour. it was quite interesting and she fed the animals so we could see them up close. we learned an amazingly lot about alpacas. For instance, if we wanted one as a pet, we could have one for only $500-1500. But you should never buy just one, because they're highly social, so we'd need two. $1000 bucks and we never have to mow the lawn again. that doesn't sound so bad to me. After the tour and information, I felt I should buy something, so I purchased two high quality skeins alpaca/merino wool to make a scarf or hat with. I was told that once i used alpaca, i'd never be satisfied with anything else.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh neat!

6/18/2006 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Steele said...

Hooray for llamas. If only I didn't have dogs, the lawn-mowing thing could be tempting. Down here there are all sorts of commercials encouraging us to start an alpaca farm.

6/19/2006 03:51:00 AM  
Blogger Geoff said...

Hmm. Maybe I can teach Zoey to eat grass...

6/19/2006 09:47:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Ooooo, you'll have to let me know how the alpaca yarn works. Is it soft?

6/19/2006 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

the 'fiber' straight off the alpaca is amazingly soft. this stuff isn't so incredibly softy but the lady said it's made to get softer after you wash it once. dave says i was had.

6/19/2006 01:33:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

That totally sound like something I would love to do. I love little shops like that. Let me know if the yarn gets better after you wash it.

6/19/2006 05:49:00 PM  
Blogger Lana Joy said...

I don't know about Alpaca wool from a farm, but the alpaca wool you buy in town is only sold at the high-end yarn shops and it's the most expensive stuff there. And it's super-soft. I don't think you were had-- I think you probably made a wise investment.

6/19/2006 06:16:00 PM  
Blogger anne said...

I'll conceed the alpaca wool investment.
But I highly suggest you refrain from purchasing one, much less two lawn-munching creatures.

Some friends I know did just such a thing for their several acres(only theirs were donkeys) and they now they have to buy tons of feed for the donkeys, because they poor beasts mowed through all the grass so fast.

6/20/2006 02:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home