Wednesday, May 31, 2006

garden tragedies

some sort of detestable mean thing ate my strawberries!!!! I don't like cats, so maybe it was a cat. Dave insists it must have been a dog (he's not so much a dog fan.) Any ideas on how to protect my prized strawberries in the future? I showed Ellen and she frowned and shook her head saying, "That's not good." Yesterday was a particularly sunny day and after Isaiah went to bed, Dave and Ellen and I were out working the dirt, getting it all ready for planting. This morning I woke up to discover five or six mosquito bites all along my pant line on my back. Truly one of the more annoying places for itchy bites. Dave helped me apply bandaids this morning to try to alleviate any pant rubbing, but they fell off (taking a shower probably didn't help their staying power)and I had to try on my own this afternoon. aarrgh.

6 Comments:

Blogger Joanne said...

It could be birds!

5/31/2006 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Steele said...

If it's something big like dogs, cats, or birds, you could put chicken wire or netting over the plants. But if it's bugs or worms you'd have to go for some sort of repellant.

6/01/2006 07:01:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

What an annoying day! I think Ellen summed things up very well - "That's not good." Very cute.

6/01/2006 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger amberlee said...

It couldn't have been a dog, they would have eaten it the strawberry whole!

6/01/2006 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

That does stink. I will stick up for the cat. No cat that I know of would want a strawberry. They would want the bird that was eating the strawberry.

6/01/2006 08:09:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Used to be sow bugs ate our strawberries. That is very frustrating. Jill will copper tape work for that?
Mosquito stuff that works for me. It is called "After bite". Primary ingredient seems to be ammonia. I tried some plain ol rubbing alchohol when I was at Anne's last week and that seemed to stop the bites from itching for the whole day.

6/02/2006 04:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home